Welding inspector Interview questions

:grinning:
Answer’s are invited

1.How can you choose a WPS for a particular job?
2.If your PQR qualified in 2G Position then how can you adjust the welding parameters (Current&voltage&Travel Speed) of the WPS to weld in overhead position?
Is it possible to adjust these parameters and in what condition it is not possible?

1 Like

I recommend to choice as follow:

Based on project specification and construction codes such base metal, thickness, OD …

Approved WPS within range of qualification.

ASME IX 2019 deleted QW-405.2. So, test coupon in 1G position qualify to all positions

1 Like

Try this one,
If i have a WPS that is qualified for a base metal thickness of 1.5 mm to 13 mm for P number 8 material.
Can i be able to use the same WPS to weld a Nozzle of 6 mm wall thickness to 25mm wall thickness flange ?
Both materials are of P number 8.
If yes ? How?Which Clause allows it ?
If no , then why?

• Groove angle on flamge: T=25 mm
  • Groove angle on nozzle: T=6mm.

Bien what is your opinion on QW202.4 (b)( 2) clause

Not like that, look QW-403.16 - determine thickness of nozzle - type set-in / set-on.

But it’s a flange to pipe butt weld connection of category B weld joint.
Then how is your observation

If pipe (WT 6mm) to FLange (25mm), its connection is not call butt weld, it may groove weld and fillet weld. So, the thickness of weld will be determined the thickness of pipe.

The same connection of drain to blind flange.

or Could you show the sketch of connection?

Yes you are right ,I misinterpreted .
I don’t have picture bien. Yesterday I eye through 202.4 b for P number 8 material that was the moment this whole things happen.
Seldom things like this will happen to me and after a while I myself realize that what a dumb question that I asked? :joy:
Thanks bien .

2 Likes