- A qualified welding procedure must available and approval.
- Organization responsibilities, see QG-106.2.
- Base material and welding consumable certificates. If classification society are involved to endorse documents, material certificates and WPS shall be reviewed and approved by them.
- Weld groove preparation are accordance with approval WPS.
- Set-up of the test coupon as the WPS.
- Welder ID card must available for verification by third party.
- Tool for inspection are available such as touch flash, welding gauges, multi amperage, leveling, pure detector for check purging gas (stainless steel), temperature record (preferable TempilStik).
- Setting up welding parameter accordance with the WPS.
- Identification of the test coupon shall be minimum of welder ID number , position, location of test specimen (see figure QW-463.2).
[Note 1] 6G must be marked up a line by paint marker at top and bottom for identification. Its location shall identify on mechanical test (QW-463.2) or RT test.
[Note 2] GMAW or FCAW must test on the base metal thickness above 10 mm and in additional side bend test due to more project specification the test.
Suggestion test coupon guide in topic Recommend to prepare the test coupon (groove weld)
TYPE OF TESTS
Welder qualification shall be passed mechanical test or alternative volumetric NDE and visual examination.
Visual Inspection (QW-194)
Performance test coupons shall show no crack and complete joint penetration with complete fusion of weld metal and base metal (inside and outside).
Mechanical Test QW-302.1 and table 452.1 (a)
If base metal thickness are equal to or greater than 10 mm:
Side bend: 2 specimens (see QW-302.3)
If base metal thickness less than 10mm:
Root bend: 1 specimen (T<10mm)
Face bend: 1 specimen (T<10mm)
Tube-to-tubesheet test (QW-193.2): five mockup weld are required to qualify each welder.
Volumetric NDE (QW-190)
RT acceptance criteria, see QW-191.1.2
UT acceptance criteria, see QW-191.2.3
- Alternative RT/UT instead of mechanical test when making a groove weld using SMAW, SAW, GTAW, GMAW(except short-circuiting mode), see QW-304.
Ex. Welder who qualify using FCAW, the test coupon shall be demonstrated by mechanical test, see QW-302.1.
All welding variables shall document in the his performance qualification records, the record may use suggest form, see QW-484, or recommend format, here.
- QW-402.4 or .7: Deletion or addition of backing.
Back weld or back gouging, double weld are considered a backing.
QW-403 Base metal
- QW-403.16: Change pipe diameter, see QW-452
- QW-403.18: Change P-Number, see QW-422 and see QW-423 for alternative base metal qualification.
QW-404 Filler metal
Welding consumable specifications here
- QW-404.14: Deletion or addition filler metal
- QW-404.15: Change F-Number, see QW-432 and QW-433.
- QW-404.22: Omission or addition insert,
- QW-404.23: Change product form.
GTAW (solid rod) can not use electrode SMAW(flux coated)
- QW-404.30: change t weld deposit, see QW-452.1 (b)
- QW-404.32: t limits (for GMAW process only).
- QW-405.1: Addition position,
- QW-405.3: Change vertical welding (change uphill to downhill and vice versa)
- QW-408.7: Change type fuel gas (Change 100%CO2 to 100% Argon, etc)
- QW-408.8: Omission gas
Qualification of stainless steel are essential backing gas by argon, if he would like to weld carbon steel material, the backing gas shall be used to weld, do not omission.
- QW-409.2: Change transfer mode (for GMAW)
- QW-409.4: Change current or polarity (not allowed the change from DCEN to DCEP and vice versa)
When welder is required re-qualification?
Who has not welded greater than 6 months, see QW-322.1.
Any change of essential variable listed for each process, see QW-416.
How to renewal of qualification?
Welder shall conduct one test coupon/product on either plate or pipe, of any material or thickness, see QW-322.2 (a).
Welder prepares the PQR, does he pass welding performance as QW-350?
Yes, who is also qualified within the limits of performance qualification, see QW-301.2.