Type of qualification tests required in groove weld
Visual inspection, Clause 4.22.1
Guided – bend test,
o Clause 4.16.2 (non-tubular) and Table 4.11
o Clause 9.17.1 (tubular)
Substitution of RT (except GMAW-S process),
o Clause 4.22.3 (non-tubular) and Table 9.13
o Clause 9.18 (tubular)
Type of qualification tests required in fillet weld
- Visual inspection, Clause 4.22.1
- Macroetch, Clause 4.22.2, Clause 9.22
- Fillet weld brack, Clause 4.22.4, Clause 9.21
- For non-tubular, Clause 4.16.2
- For tubular, Clause 9.17.2
o Welder: min. 180 mm in length for all positions, discard 32 mm both side for RT test.
o Welding operator: min. 380 mm in length for all positions, discard 75 mm both site for RT test.
o Test coupon, OD >= 100 mm: min. one-half of pipe, see 9.22.2
o Test coupon, OD < 100 mm: 100% RT, see 9.22.2
Guided bend test method
- Preparation of test specimen,
o See Figure 4.8, 4.9, 4.10 or 4.14 (non-tubular)
o See Figure 9.28 (Tubular)
- T < 10 mm, 2 specimens of face- and root- bend test.
- T > = 10 mm, 2 specimens of side bend test.
- Clause 220.127.116.11 (non-tubular)
- Clause 9.22.2 (Tubular)
o RT Test Procedure and Technique. Welded test pipe or tubing 4 in [100 mm] in diameter or larger shall be examined for a minimum of one-half of the weld perimeter selected to include a sample of all positions welded.
- A test pipe or tube welded in the 5G, 6G, or 6GR position shall be radiographed from the top centerline to the bottom centerline on either side.
- Welded test pipe or tubing less than 4 in [100 mm] in diameter shall require 100% RT.
- T-Y-K connection, Clause 9.20.1.
- Guided bend test, Clause 18.104.22.168
- RT acceptance criteria, Clause 6.12.2, except 22.214.171.124 shall not apply
- Fillet weld break, Clause 126.96.36.199
Clause 4.19 and Table 4.12
- Suggest form: AWS D1.1 Annex M or get free template here.
- The welder and welding operator who passed WPS qualification, he also qualified the requirement in Clause 4.15. Read more range of qualification in 6GR position for pWPS, here.
Period of effectiveness
- Within six months, Clause 4.2.3
- Retest, Clause 4.24.1
- Qualification responsibility, see Clause 188.8.131.52.
- Change F-Number are not allowed, see able 4.12 line 2.
- Omission of backing is not allowed, see Table 4.12 line 6.
- Thickness of test coupons are recommended at least 25,4 mm (plate) or OD > 100 mm, T > 10 mm (tubular) to maximum thickness range, see Table 4.11 (plate) and Table 9.14 (Tubular).
- Test specimens are recommended DN 200 12.7 mm.
- Third party should invite to endorse the documents, such ABS, DNV, LR, BV or other international society classification.