ASTM A516/A516M-17 – Standard Speciﬁcation for Pressure Vessel Plates, Carbon Steel, for Moderate- and Lower-Temperature Service
To easy to review and learning, I add a MTC of plate ASTM A516 Gr. 70 EN 10204 Type 3.2.
NOTE: This is a MTC type 3.2, So you request the supplier to provide Surveyor Report for this MTC. You may have a concern on it, please read topic How to identify a fake MTC type 3.2 .
(Please click to zoom out to view)
Under specification we have 4 grades, here we added P-Number and Group Number for references. Please check your WPS and range of qualifications.
MTC conform to inspection type 3.2 should be verified below information in MTC and Surveyor Report:
- Mill or manufacturer and address of factory
- Purchase name
- Order number
- Specification and grade
- Plate number and heat number
- Original markings and stamping
- Endorsed by Surveyor
|Grade||Tensile Strength (ksi)||P-Number||Group Number|
|55||55 – 75||1||1|
|60||60 – 80||1||1|
|65||65 – 85||1||1|
|70||70 – 90||1||2|
P-Number and Group Number as per ASME Section IX QW-422.
1. Ordering information and general requirement
See requirement in Section 4 of ASTM A20.
|Dimensions||25 x 2438 x 9144 mm|
|Name of product||Plate|
|Specification||ASTM A516-17a Grade 70|
|Impact test||-46 deg. C|
|Certificate||EN 10204 Type 3.2|
|Supplementary requirement||CE max. 0.43%|
Additional information should be included in material requisition such type of inspection document MTC 3.1 or 3.2, production test, max. carbon equivalent (CE), country of origin, approval vendor list, …
2. Material and manufacture
The steel shall be killed.
3. Heat treatment
- Plate, < 40 mm: as-rolled condition or normalized, or stress relieved.
- Plate, > 40 mm: normalized.
4. Chemical composition
Chemical requirements are given in Table 1 of ASTM A516.
- L = Heat analysis
- P = Product analysis
In addition to basic requirement to conform find austenitic grain size in Table 1 of ASTM A20.
Sampling for chemical analysis and methods of analysis shall be in accordance with ASTM A751.
5. Tension test
Tensile requirement in Table 2 of ASTM A516.
Please check back MTC attachment, you found the testing reports were given in the MTC (for plate 25x2438x9144, Product No. PB35407801-7802, Heat No. SB64008):
- Tension: PP14468005 (Position of test specimen is Transversal Direction)
- Impact: PP14468005
- Impact: PP14468008
6 Notch-toughness tests
Verify: number, size of specimens, absorbed valves, test temperature, orientation of test specimens
Surface imperfections and edge imperfection, repair by welding, see Section 9 of ASTM A20.
8. Permitted variations and dimensions and weight
See Para. 14 of ASTM A20.
9. Test report
The manufacturer or processor shall report:
- results of all tests required,
- purchase order,
- the heat number, the plate number,
- nominal thickness,
- the year-date of the specification,
- elongation values, both the percentage increase and the original gage length,
- all heat treatment,
- if CVN test are required, the test specimen size shall be reported,
- type of inspection documents,
- supplementary requirement and project specification,
- country of origin,
- approval vendor list,
- max. carbon equivalent, …
10. Identification of structural products (markings)
10.1 Required markings
see Section 13.1 of ASTM A20.
|Required product markings||Example|
|ASTM designation||ASTM A516|
|Grade, type and class||60|
|Name, brand, or trademark of manufacturer||POSCO|
|Size and thickness||25.00 x 2438 x 9144|
|Processor||ABC (stocker identification or distributor)|
10.2 Location of markings
See 13.3 of ASTM A20.
10.3 Subdivided plates markings
See 13.4 of ASTM A20.