A golden weld and inspection procedure

What is golden weld and its procedure application?

2 Likes

Golden weld joint is that joint in which the new piping is connected to the existing piping. Hence this joint cannot be hydrostatically tested.

So it has to be ensured that it should be defect free as per the standard (eg: ASME B31.3) that is followed.

Please learn more 345.2.3 Special Provisions for Testing in ASME B31.3 2016 edition

345.2.3(c ) Closure Welds. The final weld connecting piping systems or components that have been successfully tested in accordance with para. 345 need not be leak tested provided the weld is examined in-process in accordance with para. 344.7 and passes with 100% radiographic examination in accordance with para. 344.5 or 100% ultrasonic examination in accordance withpara. 344.6.

Welder assigned for this joint is a very important criteria. He have to be highly skilled as the NDT requirements for this joint is normally higher than that of other joints.

My experience, the golden joints are subjected to RT, UT, MPI & hardness test. It depends on the standard being followed and the client requirements.

6 Likes

Good info and thanks anthony.tan

1 Like

345.2.3(c ) Closure Welds. mentioning only about the “leak test” which for all piping system to ensure tightness. The golden weld to be created for weld joints which not be undergone “Hydrostatic test”. Leak test different from hydrostatic test.

Can you explain the statement? and share us something dedicated to procedure?

I also heard that but leak test are also hydrotest or pneumatic test?

2 Likes

@Aravind_km do you have any advise this question?

1 Like

345.2.3(c ) Closure Welds. mentioning only about the “leak test” which for all piping system to ensure tightness. The golden weld to be created for weld joints which not be undergone “Hydrostatic test”. Leak test different from hydrostatic test.

2 Likes

Leak test is Hydraulic test or Pneumatic test and sometimes both.

1 Like

This para 345.2.3 (c ) alternative leak test, not tightness test.

2 Likes

In my humble opinion ,
Selecting hydro test over pneumatic test is on the basis of risk factor both can be used as a replacement of each other.
If a hydrotest is feasible and won’t produce secondary hazards, you should do a hydrotest because it’s safer- the stored energy is far lower than in a pneumatic test and hence the hazard resulting from a sudden failure is lower.

1 Like

Hi.
If I have a defect on the golden joint, can I repair it?

Yes, all defects will subject to repair.

It’s so far so good

1 Like