In accordance with ASME BPVC Section IX, Table QW-452.1 (b) [Note 3] that allowable three welders qualify on a test coupon using the same or a different welding process.
- Thickness of test coupon (T) 19 mm and over.
Note “T” = thickness of test coupon (base metal); “t” = thickness of weld metal.
Test coupon preparation: see QW-310.1
Type of test required (groove weld):
Visual examination (QW-302.4) and side bend (*).
- 5G or 6G position: four side bend specimens.
- Combination of 2G and 5G positions: six side bend specimens.
- Other positions: 2 side bend specimens.
- For welder, see QW-304 - min. 150 mm length of the first production weld.
- For welding operator, see QW-305 - min. 1000 mm length of the first production weld.